[SOLVED] No sound with OSSv4 and Nvidia nForce2

FMOD Ex programmer's API. look here for official knowledge base and post questions/bug reports here.
Use [PLATFORM] in your thread title if you have a platform specific issue. Ie. [LINUX].
Use [LANGUAGE] in your thread title if you have a non C++ language specific issue. Ie. [C#]

[SOLVED] No sound with OSSv4 and Nvidia nForce2

Postby jalbert_ami » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:36 am

Hello,

I’m trying to get FMOD working with OSS version 4 build 1016 from http://www.opensound.com. I’m using CentOS 5.3 with an Nvidia nForce2 AC97 sound codec and FMOD version 4.32.02.

Other OSS applications play sound correctly, but when I try using FMOD I get the following error:
“osscore: Output timed out on audio engine 2/’Nvidia nForce2 (VMIX0)’ (count=0)”

This error repeats indefinitely on the terminal until the application exits.

cross posted on the OSS support site: http://www.opensound.com/forum/viewtopi ... 185872fc7a
Last edited by jalbert_ami on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jalbert_ami

Re: No sound with OSSv4 and Nvidia nForce2

Postby jalbert_ami » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 am

Still haven't gotten this fixed.

I've updated both OSS and FMOD Ex to the latest versions, but neither had any effect on the issue.

I compiled the FMOD playsound example application, and I've configured it to explicitly use OSS.

I tested my application on a separate nForce4 motherboard, also configured to use OSSv4 but with a different oss_hdaudio.ko kernel module - the nForce2 board uses the oss_ich.ko module. Everything worked correctly on this machine.

Back on the nForce2 machine, I changed the "vmix0-channels" setting from "Stereo" to "Multich". With this the playsound application started giving me sound, but very garbled - like the speakers were behind an oscilitating fan. I tried a separate pair of headphones plugged directly into the motherboard to verify that it wasn't the speakers themselves.
jalbert_ami

Re: No sound with OSSv4 and Nvidia nForce2

Postby jalbert_ami » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:04 am

I've gotten this issue fixed with some feedback from the FMOD support team.

They suggested changing FMOD's buffer size from the default of 1024 samples using System::setDSPBufferSize. Here's the comment from the help page on that function:
Sets the FMOD internal mixing buffer size. This function is used if you need to control mixer latency or granularity. Smaller buffersizes lead to smaller latency, but can lead to stuttering/skipping/instable sound on slower machines or soundcards with bad drivers.

I doubled it to 2048 samples, and the sound started working and the "Output timed out" OSS error message went away.
jalbert_ami

Return to FMOD Ex