Excessive memory usage by unnecessary codecs

FMOD Ex programmer's API. look here for official knowledge base and post questions/bug reports here.
Use [PLATFORM] in your thread title if you have a platform specific issue. Ie. [LINUX].
Use [LANGUAGE] in your thread title if you have a non C++ language specific issue. Ie. [C#]

Excessive memory usage by unnecessary codecs

Postby JNighthawk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:06 am

I've posted my question to StackOverflow as well, so you can take a look there.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1604 ... ed-samples

The TL;DR version is that it looks like FMOD is leaving codec information allocated when it's no longer necessary.
JNighthawk

Re: Excessive memory usage by unnecessary codecs

Postby brett » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 am

Hi,
Yes your investigation is right, the codec remains, this is mainly so information and things like Sound::readData etc can still function. To rework it looks a bit complicated at the moment, and you have found the worst codec to have this problem with, as ogg (reference source) is extremely bloated. Using 2 sounds , 1 user created and 1 for decoding isnt a bad method to remove that codec memory.
Also i could recommend using FSB with vorbis encoding, as the overhead is a lot lower with FSB (basically we dont use 'ogg' at all, just the vorbis bit).

i'll see if lowmem flag can remove the codec in the future , and things like readData can just return an error in this case.
Brett Paterson
Firelight Technologies
FMOD SoundSystem
brett
God
God

Postby JNighthawk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 am

Thanks for the response.

When you're talking about the overhead of ogg vs. FSB w/ vorbis, you're talking about the codec size, not the PCM size, right? The game I'm working on currently has thousands of oggs that would be hard to convert over (large patch size and time), and in the future, I'd rather have a homogeneous file format than a few different. I'm not worried so much about memory while loading - just persistent memory. As long as the "load twice" solution (hack :-P) works in our further testing, I'll be going with that, based on your approval of it. That is, until FMOD supports a way to disable this memory usage itself.
JNighthawk

Postby brett » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 pm

yes I mean codec overhead not the PCM memory.

I've noted the issue down as a feature for a future version, to remove the codec.
Brett Paterson
Firelight Technologies
FMOD SoundSystem
brett
God
God

Return to FMOD Ex