In the application my team is developing, on one of the machines we are using, on an abnormal termination, sometimes the application will cause the machine to crash to a blue screen and get stuck inside an infinite loop in the audio driver.
The machine which crashes is using:
FMODex Version: v.4.01.07 for 32bit windows
OS: Windows XP
Sound Card: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) (Dell OEM – model # SB0358)
Driver Date: 8/17/2004 (signed by Creative)
Driver Version: 184.108.40.2065
Programming IDE: Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 7.1
Specific driver cited in crash: ctoss2k.sys ctoss2k.sys file version: 5.12.01.0443-1.14.0030
Our immediate response to this problem was to update the driver for the sound card. This proved difficult since Dell only updates their drivers about once every few years, and Dell prevents a user from using drivers directly from the original equiptment manufacturer. So he is going to update his driver to the latest Beta driver from Dell.
The crash occurs specifically during an abnormal shut-down of the application. These include stopping debugging from the IDE, shutting down the secondary window we are spawning instead of the main window, or if the application crashes while debugging.
The first two causes only make the crash occur occasionally. The last, however, makes the blue screen crash impossible to avoid.
We were afraid this problem might be a common problem among machines with this particular combination of Sound card and Driver. Since this is a Dell machine and part of their new Gamer line, we are afraid this may be a problem for many people.
I would appreciate any and all information that may help my team resolve this problem.
Thanks for your time.
Since I can not attach files to a forum post, if a request for the crash dump from my teammates computer is posted, I will need an email address to send it to.
- rhochene asked 12 years ago
Unfortunately, updating the drivers is particularly difficult since this is a Dell machine.
They stamp the products that they put in the machines they build so that other sites driver updaters don’t recognize the product. So in this case, the only drivers available are the beta drivers from Creative’s website. For some reason, these recognize the product, but the fully tested drivers don’t.
He will be trying these drivers to see if it will resolve the problem.
Since I believe he said this is 100% repeatable in the machine’s current state when the application crashes in debug mode, I will contact firstname.lastname@example.org and report the results from his machine as you suggest.
My teammate has updated his drivers and has not been able to reproduce the bug since.
So we are calling it a driver problem.
However, if email@example.com sends me the dll discussed earlier in the thread, I will get my teammate to revert to the old driver, log the info and I will send the results as soon as I get them
I really don’t mean to be a pain in your side, and I do appreciate the time you’ve spent trying to help me.
This time I did get the email (the reply to my second), but as I just discovered gmail strips dll files.
Hotmail however does not. If you send it again, send it to:
Also some new info on this problem, he was working with an older app that he had developed the other day, with an older version of Fmod, and had the same problem. So it’s not just a problem with Fmod ex.
My teammate has been busy lately, we have a milestone due in a couple of days, so he has not been able to run the tests lately.
However, he has just informed me that the bug just reoccured with the new drivers. (I think one of my teammates commented out all my sound engine code since he updated his drivers)
So, he put the logging dll you gave me in the running directory, and will send me the results the next time it happens.
Thanks for so much of your time, I know it was probably a pain for you to focus on this problem to have such anticlimactic results.
I thought I had mentioned before that this problem was caused by an abnormal termination of the application. I didnt mean to make it sound like calling an Fmod function was the cause of this, and like we had agreed a while ago, this is probably a driver problem.
Thanks again for your time. Sorry if we caused unnecessary stress for you.
Please login first to submit.