[size=150:2y54xglb][b:2y54xglb]Newer version available here:[/b:2y54xglb][/size:2y54xglb]
Download FMOD Studio Developer Preview 0.1.4 here (UPDATED Nov 29 2012)
FMOD Studio for Windows [url:2y54xglb]http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodstudio00104win-installer.exe[/url:2y54xglb]
FMOD Studio for Mac [url:2y54xglb]http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodstudio00104mac-installer.dmg[/url:2y54xglb]
FMOD Studio API for Windows [url:2y54xglb]http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodapi00104win-installer.exe[/url:2y54xglb]
FMOD Studio API for Mac [url:2y54xglb]http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodapi00104mac-installer.dmg[/url:2y54xglb]
Welcome to the FMOD Studio developer preview. This post is to explain what this means, and what is included in this release and what is missing/yet to come.
We will work over the next few months to get all planned functionality in.
[b:2y54xglb]Major features included in Studio at this point[/b:2y54xglb]
1. Multi Track Editor with timeline, browser, effect deck, metering.
–1a. single sound/multi sound, events within events, sound scatterers, audioweather realtime weather synthesis.
–1b. 2d & 3d panner interfaces, automation by parameters, modulators, pre and post fader effect placement (on a track, or the whole event – ie the ‘master’ track).
–1c. iZotope and McDSP effect support (some of these are currently disabled we’ll get this back in in the next few weeks)
–1d. Side-chaining (currently supported by FMOD Compressor effect)
2. Mixer interface
–2a. sends/returns, VCAs, solo/mute, effect deck, metering
–2b. realtime mixing while connected to game (requires runtime)
–2c. iZotope and McDSP effect support
–2d. Side-chaining (currently supported by FMOD Compressor effect)
3. Pro DSP effects – AudioGaming AudioWeather, McDSP, iZotope (some of these are currently disabled we’ll get this back in in the next few weeks)
4. Perforce support – per event check in/ check out.
5. unlimited undo/redo
6. Control surface support – comes with Nucleus profile.
[b:2y54xglb]Major features still to come
1. Mixer snapshots – trigger mix and morph mixer snapshots from timeline etc. (coming Q3 2012)
2. Interactive music features (coming Q4 2012)
3. Profiler – scrub through game history, debug event triggers and parameter changes. (coming Q1 2013)
4. Localization and platform functionality. (coming Q1 2013)
I’m having trouble with nested events. I guess I’m not sure what exactly triggers a nested event to start playing (or if I have to press play on all of them?). Also, it seems that once "Higher Level Parameter Control" is automated as outlined in the manual, the nested event’s parameter stops responding to changes made in the parent event either from the timeline or a parent parameter… and changes made to a nested event’s parameter from within the nested event are never reflected in the parent event window. There’s a lot of really cool potential here, but I can’t seem to get it to work as I would expect it to. This wasn’t explicitly pointed out in the "known issues" part, so I figured I’d ask.
- BShipes answered 5 years ago
19/10/12 0.01.01 – Patch release
- Fixed crashes when importing Designer project/workspace
- Fixed fade curves copying when doing a multiple sound copying and pasting
- Fixed writing of callstack in log on Mac
- Fixed crash reporter not showing when fatal error is encountered on Windows
- Fixed minidump not being written correctly on Windows
new update – for the runtime
14/09/12 5.00.02 – Patch release
- Optimized mixer to be 20% faster in some cases.
! Studio API – Changed .bank file format – ALL BANKS MUST BE REBUILT
– Studio API – Fixed panning different in game to tool
+ Studio API – Improved performance of event playback containing mono/stereo tracks
14/09/12 5.00.02 – Patch release
Fixed UI issue with automation curves not displaying correctly when an Event
is first viewed
Improved UI performance in the Event Editor and Mixer
29/10/12 0.01.02 – Tool Patch release
- Fixed crash when deleting a module from a copied AudioTrack if there are fade
curves for the module.
- Fixed crash when executing an action (e.g. delete) via keyboard shortcut while
altering dial value.
- Fixed not being able to automate stereo pan dials.
- Fixed crash when copying and pasting multisound module with playPercentage set.
- Fixed bug in importing of Echo effects from a Designer project/workspace.
- Fixed potential issue with automation curves when importing Designer
project/workspace with event having multiple similar effects on the same parameter.
29/10/12 0.01.02 – API Patch release
- Fixed distortion when the distance between 3D sound and the listener is greater
than the maximum attenuation distance.
- Fixed memory leaks when playing a persistent event and triggering sounds via
[quote="BShipes":1fle1yxi]I’m having trouble with nested events. I guess I’m not sure what exactly triggers a nested event to start playing (or if I have to press play on all of them?).[/quote:1fle1yxi]Nested events begin to play when the parameter cursor enters their modules in their parent events.
[quote="BShipes":1fle1yxi]Also, it seems that once "Higher Level Parameter Control" is automated as outlined in the manual, the nested event’s parameter stops responding to changes made in the parent event either from the timeline or a parent parameter… and changes made to a nested event’s parameter from within the nested event are never reflected in the parent event window.[/quote:1fle1yxi]This is working as intended. While Studio’s interface does not yet support it, you will eventually be able to nest multiple instances of the same event in different places throughout your project. An event module represents a single instance of the nested event, and each such instance has its own parameter values. The event editor window that opens when you double-click on an event module edits the nested event as a whole, and not any specific one of its instances, and therefore does not alter the parameter values of any particular event instance. For the same reason, changes to the parameters of a specific instance of a nested event will not be reflected in the nested event’s event editor window.
If you do want to change the parameter values of a specific event module, select the module and adjust the dials that appear in the Deck.
[quote="BShipes":1fle1yxi]There’s a lot of really cool potential here, but I can’t seem to get it to work as I would expect it to.[/quote:1fle1yxi]We recognize that the differences between a nested event, its instances, and its modules are not made clear in the current Studio interface. We’ll fix that.
9/11/12 0.01.03 – Tool Patch release
- Made Designer importer more robust against duplicate guid (by generating
- Fixed occasional crash when in Open Recent on Mac
- Fixed issue where corrupted Studio project resulted in a crash dialog instead
of an error dialog indicating the cause of the failure.
- Fixed Autopitch modulator changing a sound’s pitch when adjusting its region
(bug introduced in 0.01.02)
- Fixed autopitched sounds not changing pitch beyond the region’s initial start
and end positions after being loaded from file (bug introduced in 0.01.00)
9/11/12 0.01.03 – Patch release
- Fixed a linker error when using EventInstance::setPaused
Sure we will add this. What operating system are you using? Just set the sound card you want to be ‘default device’ in control panel. Right click speaker icon in try, choose Play Back devices and use the list of devices to set the default. Setting the speaker mode (using configure) will automatically set Studio to the same speaker mode (ie 5.1)
Second Developer Preview release
Added copy and paste for audio tracks, return tracks and effects
- Added copy, paste, and delete menu items and shortcut keys
- Added zoom in, zoom out, and zoom to fit menu items and shortcut keys
- Multiple trigger regions can now be copied and pasted
- Added option to set module colors in the Event Editor
- Added ability to assign a name to sound modules by double-clicking on title
tab in the deck
- Added Sort by Name functionality to Audio Bin, Events Browser, Mixer Routing,
Tag Browser and VCA Browser
- Custom ordering is now possible in the Tag Browser and VCA Browser
- Removing audio files that are referenced in sound modules now warns user
and cleans up sound modules if deleted
- The Submit dialog now remember the Submit and On Hold status of items
- Added sidechain compression
- Studio now supports migration of Designer’s Event 3D Cone properties to
Angle parameter with automation curve on Master Track
- Added ability to edit game parameter name and range
- Added ability to open audio file in external program via Shift+W or context
menu of selected single sound modules, audio files in audio bin or File menu
- Crash reporter now appears as soon as application crashes and will reopen
- Added recent files menu item
Improvements to indication of selected items
Fixed issue that prevented custom sorting of items in the Audio Bin and
- Fixed issue where Studio was unable to load project if project is readonly
- Fixed issue where audio files are not moved to project recycle bin on saving
project if the audio files are readonly.
- Fixed modulator tab not showing for nested event parameters
- Fixed FMOD Delay effect delay buffer being cleared when changing delay time
- Fixed selection of owner’s effects deck for the current automation tracks
Fixed native file menus hiding floating windows
Missing audio assets are now highlighted in red text in Audio Bin
- The Submit dialog now expands the tree view by default and expands the branch
on adding new items
- Studio now set the module colors to match Designer when importing a Designer
- Studio now migrates Sound Def name to sound module name when importing
- Added progress indicator when opening project files
- Copying automation curve now flattens curve if destination units is not
compatible with the source (e.g. dB to Hz) as well as constraining points of
the curve if the destination effect parameter has a different range
Working mostly fine for me on 10.6.8 now.
Any chance you’ll release the API download for OS X down the line? I’ve been helping run a game audio club at New York University for the past couple of years, and we generally favored teaching FMOD since (aside from the benefit of an uncluttered interface) both Designer and the event API were available on both Windows and Mac.
- michaelbartnett answered 5 years ago
I’m a teacher in music production and game audio and I’m looking forward to the final release.
Will Fmod Studio be available with a non-commercial license option? Any limitations?
Will Fmod Studio have support for VST and other audio-plugin formats?
I’m having trouble with multimodules (I’m on OSX 10.6 and Windows 7 64 bit)
There is no sound coming to the master out. It’s the same with nested events.
I was stopping the cursor in "the middle of the multimodule" (with spacebar), then "return to zero" (Return button). Then I was pressing play (Spacebar)
This still don’t gets any sound to master out.
Let the cursor "play through" the whole multimodule, then return to start (with return) and press play (spacebar) OR place the cursor after the multimodule and then "return to zero" (Return). There is also possible to not stop the cursor in the middle of the multimodule instead just press Return to automatically return to zero and play from there.
I don’t think this is clearly written out in the manual, but maybee I missed it.
- PatrikSWE answered 5 years ago
Please login first to submit.